The thyroid gland produces the thyroid hormone, which is essential for metabolism, growth, and development of the body. Hypothyroidism is a deficiency disease that is caused because the thyroid gland does not produce enough of the thyroid hormone. A shortage of the hormone not only slows down metabolism but also adversely affects the quality of life in the long-term if not treated properly.
Hypothyroidism is a common condition that is said to affect 1 in 10 Indians. A few of the common symptoms experienced by those affected by hypothyroidism are:
- Fatigue: The thyroid hormone is responsible for maintaining energy balance in the body. A shortage in the hormone can cause you to feel sleepy or tired even after getting a full night’s sleep.
- Weight Gain: One of the immediate effects of hypothyroidism is a lowered rate of metabolism. This, in turn, causes the body to store calories as fat instead of burning them.
- Mood Swings: Although the exact reasons are unclear, hypothyroidism is said to cause depression and anxiety for nearly 60% of all those affected by the condition.
- Muscle and Joint Pain: Low thyroid levels in the body can cause the body to break down muscles and tissues for energy. This can lead to muscle cramps and a feeling of weakness.
- Hair Loss: Without the thyroid hormone, the hair follicles are unable to regenerate. This leads to extreme hair loss or loss of texture of the hair.
- Impaired Memory: A sudden or severe difficulty with short-term memory and concentration is a symptom of hypothyroidism.
These are just a few of the common symptoms that are caused due to hypothyroidism. Usually, doctors prescribe hormone replacement tablets treat the condition. However, taking up a hypothyroidism naturopathic treatment can help you alleviate the symptoms without having to depend on drugs or medical treatments. Visit Jindal Nature cure hospital for diet therapy and alternative treatments for thyroid disorders.